WISCONSIN CONFIDENTIAL: AN EXHIBITION WITHOUT BORDERS
Chatty Belle Talking Cow, Highway 10, Neillsville, Wisconsin, 2011. By John Shimon & Julie Lindemann.
Entry Deadline: October 20, 2012
Exhibition: Ongoing through February 3, 2013
This open exhibition complements the upcoming residency of renowned Wisconsin photography duo John Shimon and Julie Lindemann. While in-residence at the Arts Center, the pair will explore the sense of identity that comes from inhabiting a single place over a long period of time and share their lifelong love of the state in an exhibition titled THE WISCONSIN PROJECT. This is your chance to reveal a hidden side of the great Dairy State to have your work considered for an exhibition at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center.
Send us an original, vintage, altered, or store-bought postcard of what you believe best represents the Wisconsin that most people never see. On the back tell us why the image embodies the “secret side” of Wisconsin. Remember: be creative, keep it brief, and make it legible!
• Each participant may submit up to three entries.
• Each entry must be made of any mailable material.
• Works must measure 4 x 6 inches and with a depth no greater than 3/8 inch.
• Your submissions must be original works of art made by you, vintage postcards (those with expired copyright), altered postcards (those with images changed to the degree that there is no copyright infringement), or store-bought (everyday new postcard one would find in a store along the highway in your hometown).
• Your original work must have your name, email, or other preferred contact information written, carved, or otherwise clearly and permanently labeled somewhere on the underside or backside of the piece. *Your identity will not be disclosed at anytime during the exhibition.
• Work will be hung with tape or push pins through the corners. If you do not want push-pin holes through your postcard, you must have your postcard ready for display upon arrival.
Works will be accepted if they fit the concept and other requirements listed here. Final determination of what is included in the exhibition is at the discretion of the Arts Center staff.
CARE OF YOUR WORK
• All works of art will be handled with care by trained staff.
• All entries must be submitted with adequate packing material to ensure the safety of your work.
• The Arts Center is not liable for the works submitted for this exhibition.
• All entries submitted will also be considered to become an official part of Shimon and Lindemann’s fall 2013 exhibition at the Arts Center.
RETURN OF YOUR WORK
If you do not want your postcard considered for the fall Shimon and Lindemann exhibition, please take note of the following pickup dates.
• Works may be picked up at the Arts Center February 4--9.
• Works may be picked up anytime during the Arts Center’s regularly scheduled operating hours.
If you are unable to pick up your entries at the Arts Center, you must include a self-addressed envelope with packing material, if necessary, and adequate postage. Your entries will be returned to you within 90 days of the close of the exhibition.
• Entries that are not picked up in person and do not have a mailer, packing material, and adequate postage will not be returned. Unclaimed entries will become the sole and unrestricted property of the Arts Center on February 10. Limited storage space will make it necessary to dispose of your work on or after February 15.
• If your work is not selected for the Wisconsin Confidential exhibition, you will be notified by email or phone. You may pick up your work at times designated in the email or phone call. Entries to be returned by mail will follow the same mailing instructions as listed above.
**By submitting postcards, you agree to all the conditions set forth in the prospectus and give the John Michael Kohler Arts Center permission to photograph and reproduce work for promotional and educational purposes. You also agree to hold neither the John Michael Kohler Arts Center, Inc., their officers and agents, John Shimon, nor Julie Lindemann responsible for injury, property damage, or claims of any kind.
PLEASE SEND OR BRING ENTRIES IN PERSON TO:
John Michael Kohler Arts Center
608 New York Avenue
Sheboygan, WI 53081-4507
For more information about THE WISCONSIN PROJECT please visit: www.wisconsinproject.blogspot.com.